Hi, I’m Karen Black - website designer, strategist and creative techie
My unique blend of technical knowledge and creative skill combined with patience and marketing expertise, means you get a lot more than just a website! You get:
- A website that looks beautiful and is aligned with your business, because I bring your brand aesthetic and personality to life on your website.
- A website that is easy to use and that is functional, so that it attracts and converts your ideal customers.
- Recommendations and ongoing support to help you drive more traffic to your site, get more enquires and sales and deal with any technology issues.
I have worked in marketing and design for over 20 years, firstly contracting to large companies in London, followed by 7 years in the travel industry (for a tour operator, airline then tourism board). In 2009 I started creating websites and doing some freelance graphic design, then co-founded a creative agency in 2010 where I focused on websites, design and digital marketing before setting up HubFizz in 2014.
Whilst my expertise is website design and making the most of your website, I also have gathered a number of other skills over the years including social media, digital strategy and graphic design as well as doing webinars, talks and workshops.
The Eco Business Show – Ideas to Grow Your Business and Make it Greener
A weekly show that livestreams to Facebook every Tuesday at 11am, where I interview business owners, ecopreneurs, changemakers, thought leaders and visionaries who share their expertise on various topics including:
- Business development, website strategies, marketing and branding
- Tech tools and apps that save you time and make life easier
- Wellbeing strategies to improve work-life balance, self care and take a more holistic approach to business
- Ways to make your business greener, more sustainable and resilient
What I believe in
I believe in social justice and wellbeing and creating a positive social impact. I believe in compassion and kindness to people, animals and planet. I believe in diversity and fair opportunities for all. I love working with those that embody positive change and make a difference to their customers, community and the planet.
We all play a part in sustainability for the future of our planet and I like to support those trying to make a difference and who share eco-conscious values. I am doing a Permaculture Diploma to look at better ways of doing business that takes into account #peoplecare #earthcare #fairshares and #futurecare.
I believe in collaboration and inclusion and asking for help instead of struggling to operate in a silo. I partner with many other small businesses with similar values so I can offer a wider range of services. I run a free monthly networking meetup to support local eco-conscious business owners and changemakers.
Being resourceful & supportive
I believe there is nearly always a solution to any challenge that arises. I am patient and look at things both creatively and strategically and I want those I work with to feel looked after and to succeed.
Ethics & integrity
I believe in working with honesty and integrity. I believe in not taking advantage of others and that it is important to value each other and be respectful and do business in an ethical way.
Eco Meetup Norwich
I co-founded the Eco Meetup Norwich as a free networking event to bring together a community of eco-conscious business owners, environmental organisations and changemakers. A place where we can share ideas, collaborate and support each other to help grow our businesses and make a difference to our local communities and environment. To find out more and join the community, join our Facebook Group below.
A little bit more about me
- I grew up in Zimbabwe, Africa and I have lived in the UK for over 25 years.
- I lived in London then Buckinghamshire and now live in Norwich which has a great music, cafe and food scene, lovely friendly people, a thriving independent business community, a fantastic coastline and beaches and the beautiful Norfolk Broads just to name a few!
- I love permaculture (I have done a Permaculture Design Certificate); green technologies; craft beer; festivals; dancing; travelling; bees; plant-based food; nature; catching up with friends and family.
- I recently tried surfing for the first time which I loved!
- I founded, produced and co-hosted the weekly #NorwichHour Show on Future Radio (a local community radio station based in Norwich) which ran for 3 years from June 2015 to July 2018. The show was an interactive hour of live music, chat, interviews, local business and news running in tandem with the #NorwichHour chat on Twitter – one of the first of its kind in the UK!
- Some of the jobs I’ve had include working as a receptionist, serving in a London pub, selling typewriter ribbons to businesses and working as a desk top publisher for a printer.
- I used to build websites in HTML4, which I don’t miss doing at all, however it gave me experience in Custom CSS styling which I use quite a lot on WordPress sites I create.